Monday, October 20, 2008

Dance Party Album Review: Everything That Happens Will Happen Today


I've been listening to Everything That Happens Will Happen Today, the new album by David Byrne and Brian Eno for the past couple of days. I know it's been out for months, but I was only aware of it recently. It's their first collaboration in some thirty years. It is quite different from My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts, their collaboration from 1981, but it is similar in some ways to the Talking Heads albums produced by Eno. Actually, musically it reminds me more of Eno's collaboration with John Cale, 1990's Wrong Way Up. The process is quite interesting: Eno had some unfinished songs, and provided the backing tracks and rhythm beds to Byrne on cd. They sent things back and forth between New York and England via email. The sound is big and full, and Eno's rhythm beds drive Byrne's happy vocals much like the stuff on Remain In Light.

All in all, it is a good album, although I don't think it deserves the five stars and probably deserves 3.5 stars rather than the four it received from Rolling Stone. The title track is wonderful, and Strange Overtones has a great groove. I wasn't knocked out by everything, although I do enjoy the album, and these two have long been favorites of the Lovely Mona and myself. It is more interesting and pleasant than a lot of stuff out there right now. Padre says, "Check it out!"

This post has been visited by the Alter Guild.

No comments:

I See You!

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign