Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Feast of St. Dominic and St. Constance of Sonora


O God of the prophets, you opened the eyes of your servant Dominic to perceive a famine of hearing the word of the Lord, and moved him, and those he drew about him, to satisfy that hunger with sound preaching and fervent devotion: Make your Church, dear Lord, in this and every age, attentive to the hungers of the world, and quick to respond in love to those who are perishing; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

I have nothing to say about Dominic, not be cause I don't like him, but because I don't know anything about him. I took classes at the Dominican School at the GTU, and my favorite Dominican is the Rev. Samuel Parsons.

Today is my mother's birthday, which is a bigger Feast Day around here, believe you me! Her name is Constance and she lives in Sonora, California. Happy Birthday, Mom!

O God, our times are in your hand: Look with favor, we pray, on you servant Constance as she begins another year. Grant that she may grow in wisdom and grace, and strengthen her trust in your goodness all the days of her life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

5 comments:

Fran said...

Happy Birthday Constance!!!

The Dominicans have played an huge role in my spiritual life. I have spent a lot of time with them over the past 18 years.

The friars are generally so well educated but sometimes to a flaw. All head and not enough heart, if you know what I mean. Franciscans they are not, in general.

It is however the women, the great contempletive nuns that have had the most profound influence upon me and how I interpret Dominic's charism.

Padre, I must say I swiped that prayer in your post and pasted it into my parish blog. The address of which will only be given out privately to those who ask nicely! Hope you don't mind.

Pax Padre and back to the Tiber for me!

Padre Mickey said...

Franiam, everything here is up for swiping.
The prayer is the collect for Dominic from Lesser Feasts and Fasts.

valentino said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CONSTANCE...thanks for presenting us with the gift of your boy, The Padre Mickey!

Leonardo Ricardo

June Butler said...

Happy Birthday, Constance!

Aghaveagh said...

Happy Birthday to your lovely mother!
And so blessed with the gift of a dutiful and joyous son.

May she live to be 100!!

I See You!

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign