Friday, March 28, 2008

Friday Random Top Ten


Ya pushes "shuffle" and ya takes yer chances. . .

1. 1917 Linda Ronstandt and Emmylou Harris
2. It's Rainin' Kirk Franklin and God's Property
3. Souvenir Orchestral Manoeuvers In The Dark
4. Joe Falcon's Waltz BeauSoleil
5. The Guitar (The Lion Sleeps Tonight) They Might Be Giants
6. Garden Of Earthly Delights XTC
7. Icky Thump White Stripes
8. I Love You RAMONES!
9. I Hate Heaven The Residents
10. If I Didn't Love You Squeeze


Well, this is aNOTHER strange list I've gotten us into, Stanley! Ya can't go wrong with Linda and Emmylou, although I must say I wasn't in the mood for Kirk Franklin this morning. Souvenir is one of my favorite OMD songs; I remember dresbaby Tara dancing to it at a recital in Jr. High. Everyone else was doing noisy Hiphop and out comes Tara in some filmy black dress, twirling about to OMD. When she was at Berkeley High she did a dance to Tom Wait's The Ocean Didn't Want Me Today which is kinda like a poem with someone banging around on pots and pans. BUT SHE'S PERFECTLY NORMAL NOW, or at least what passes for normal in our family and for a person living in Berkeley. But I digress. . . I likes everything on this list, and that Icky Thump is one gloriously noisy song. But what I REALLY love is the way the last three songs worked out: I Love You (which is true,ya know) from the Ramones last album, followed by I Hate Heaven from the Resident's Wormwood album, a collection of songs about stories from the Bible (some of the worst stories from the Bible, to boot!) followed by If I Didn't Love You by Squeeze. This is the perfect combination of Love and Hate, as the first line is "If I didn't love you, I'd hate you." I declares this Top Ten a success!

1 comment:

Matthew Hubbard said...

OMD! I currently own no OMD songs. This is wrong on many different levels. How can you not love a band that wrote two different songs about Joan of Arc, one a dirge and one a poppy dancehall hit!

Good 10, Padre!

I See You!

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign