Friday, January 09, 2009

The Committal

On Wednesday afternoon, January 7, the Lovely Mona and I took the water taxi from Gamboa to Isla Barro Colorado, carrying the ashes of our dear friend Elizabeth Leigh to their final resting place in the tropical forest she loved so. Lizzie was interested in all manner of plants and animals, but she was very much interested in bats. She loved talking with the bat experts on the island, and when we lived in Paraíso and our kitteh Sin Nombre got into the habit of bringing bats into the house, Lizzie asked us to bag them and keep them in the freezer until she could get them to BCI (Barrol Colorado Island), which made for some interesting sights when one was rooting about in the freezer looking for ice cream! We placed her ashes in a lovely place near the Bat Cage. Several people came and participated in the Committal; we used the service in the Book of Common Prayer, using Rite 1 which was consistent with the funeral we held back in September.

Waiting for the water taxi


The Canal


Barro Colorado Island




The forest




Looking for monkeys


Dr. Egbert Leigh at the Bat Cage


The trail



All that the Father giveth me shall come to me;
and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

He that raised up Jesus from the dead
will also give life to our mortal bodies,
by his Spirit that dwelleth in us.

Wherefore my heart is glad, and my spirit rejoiceth;
my flesh also shall rest in hope.

Thou shalt show me the path of life;
in thy presence is the fullness of joy,
and at thy right hand there is pleasure for evermore.




In sure and certain hope of the resurrection to eternal life
through our Lord Jesus Christ, we commend to Almighty
God our sister Elizabeth; and we commit her body to the ground;*
earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust. The Lord bless
her and keep her, the Lord make his face to shine upon her
and be gracious unto her, the Lord lift up his countenance
upon her and give her peace. Amen.




Rest eternal grant to her, O Lord:
And let light perpetual shine upon her.

May her soul, and the souls of all the departed,
through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

5 comments:

Matthew Hubbard said...

Amen.

WCFIELDS said...

Dear Padre,

Thanks for this posting and all the photos - I could feel the rain forest surrounding me - and the love Elisabeth and Bert gave me as a child.
Megan

Jane R said...

Beautiful, Padre. May Lizzie rest in peace and rise in glory, and may we honor God's creation which she so dearly loved.

Padre Mickey said...

Anonymous' comment was removed for rudeness.

Caminante said...

Requiat, requiat, Elisabeth.

Good to see photos of BCI 21 years later... and I think the mola veil is most appropriate.

How someone could be rude about this is beyond me.

I See You!

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign