Sunday, July 27, 2008

Early This Morning


When I walked into the church this morning around 6:40 am, the telephone was ringing. I unlocked my office door, dumped all my stuff on the desk and answered the phone, expecting to hear from a parishioner asking the hour of this morning's service (we celebrated our patronal festival with a single, bilingual service this morning). I was surprised to hear the voice of Bishop Julio Murray on the other end. He said (and I paraphrase) "Good morning, Michael. We just finished attending Mass at Canterbury Cathedral and I wanted to call you to give my love and blessings to St. Christopher's." He apologized for not sending me stuff for the blog, "so I decided I would just call you instead." He told me about all the good work the bishops are doing in their groups, and how much he likes the ABC. He talked about the march for MDGs: "It was like manifestaciónes back home, except without the tear-gas and police attacking."

Then he said, "I'm calling to ask everyone to pray for us as we prepare for the week ahead. The discussions on Climate Change and the MDGs was good, and now we will be dealing with other serious issues and we really need your prayers." I assured him that we are praying for him and the other bishops.

So that's the latest news I have from Lambeth. May the Holy Spirit guide the bishops of the Anglican Communion and direct them to make decisions of love and inclusion.

4 comments:

susan s. said...

Yes. We prayed for all bishops at Lambeth and those not there. It's the most Christian thing to do, I guess.

Caminante said...

Yes, indeed... may they all find the inclusion that Jesus was so capable of offering... I am confident in Obispo Martín, that he holds a place for people like me in the church. Los demas estoy menos segura.

Frank Remkiewicz aka “Tree” said...

I pray that they all find holy ground upon which to stand and be merciful.

Kirkepiscatoid said...

I have been praying for my bishop, George Wayne Smith of the Diocese of Missouri. Missouri has partnered with the Sudan for many years now and the Sudanese bishops are now making that darn near impossible....

I See You!

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign