Monday, December 28, 2009

A Visit To Avenida Central

The Lovely Mona and I went to Avenida Central today. It is a very lively place most of the time, but at this time of year there are lots of stalls selling all kindsa stuff, plus lots of food. It is a Promenade, so one doesn't have to dodge cars, except at those spots where cars cross the avenida. We were down there as I needed some walking shoes and I only like to purchase shoes from Aurora onna counna they are freakin' cheap quite inexpensive, yet of decent quality. I found a good pair of walking shoes for just under $20.00, and the Lovely Mona found some shoes which met her needs, too. I took photos of the Avenida, and tried to take some photos inside the Machetazo, cuz it is Quite A Store, but the guard told me I couldn't take any photos (although he never told me why, even though I asked three times).

Here are photos of Avenida Central As always, click on photo to embiggen

I'm just standing in the middle of the street, shooting to the left and then right.



A fountain


Fruits and veggies


Feng Shui store


Aguacates (avocados)


This is the stuff some people use for New Years; I have no idea how it works.



You KNOW I bought this bag!



Street scenes




Pigeons sitting


An Interesting sign


Hey! Wanna buy a watch?


Great prices!


Bolsas


Interesting façade


Plátano 


Cane juicer. The Lovely Mona purchased two bottles of freshly "squeezed" cane juice.



On the way home the traffic was very slow in Panamá Viejo, the original Panama City established by the Spaniards Way Back When. The traffic wasn't moving very fast at all, and I snapped a couple of shots of the ruins while sitting there.
















This is the Super 99 supermercado near our house. I like the cow on top of the sign. The present President of Panamá, Ricardo Martinelli, owns the Super 99's, the Mega Depots, and some other stuff. I don't shop at any of his stores, not so much as a political statement, but because they don't carry stuff I want.

5 comments:

June Butler said...

I'm just standing in the middle of the street, shooting to the left and then right.

Whoah, cowboy! Sounds like the Wild West. I'm rolling on the floor. Sorry. Still laughing.

susan s. said...

My father was in Panama during WWII before I was born. He was in the navy. I just ran across some pictures of him and some buddies there the other day. I don't know where he was except he was prolly in the canal zone.

motheramelia said...

Liked the pics. I do remember seeing Old Panama in the early 50s. Hasn't changed much. The rest is very different. Someday I'm going though the canal again.

Caminante said...

Thanks for the photos... I's been there!!!

WCFIELDS said...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane Padre - going to the Ave was a favorite of mine - and a must visit on my trips back "home"

Merry Christmas to you and Mona - I hope you get to see Mary while she is visiting -

Megan

I See You!

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign