Monday, June 11, 2007

Feast of St. Barnabas, Apostle


Grant, O God, that we may follow the example of your faithful servant Barnabas, who, seeking not his own renown but the well-being of your Church, gave generously of his life and substance for the relief of the poor and the spread of the Gospel; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

It's my day off, and I'm not up to writing about Barnabas, although I do remember that Tertullian thought that Barnabas probably wrote the Epistle to the Hebrews. I know more about Tertullian than I do about Barnabas! I think he (Barnabas, not Tertullian!) is supposed to have been the first Bishop of Milan. He hung out with St. Paul and maybe even Mark the Evangelist. I think he was supposed to have been martyred in Cyprus. What was the Bishop of Milan doing in Cyprus?

May I direct you all to Grandmére Mimi?

I'm saving up for Basil the Great. He's a guy I know a lot about!

2 comments:

Reverend Ref + said...

You don't think he was crossing diocesan boundaries to protect orthodoxy, do you??

Padre Mickey said...

HA! Rev. Ref+ you win for best comment today!!

I See You!

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign