Tuesday, May 29, 2007
A Very Busy Pentecost Sunday
Boy, we were very busy Sunday. We had our two Eucharists on Sunday morning, with two baptisms at the 10:30 am Misa. It was Hyacinth Wilson's 90th birthday, so we had a little birthday party across the street on the patio of Instituto Episcopal San Cristóbal. It was a very nice gathering but I don't have any photos of that event.
In the afternoon we were at Balboa Union Church for the Panama Canal International Alumni Association's 15th Ecumenical Commemorative service. A dear member of the parish, Profesora Emily Butcher, received the Meritorious Educational Award from the PCIAA. St. Christopher's Choir and three members of el Gran Combo de San Cristóbal provided the music for the event.
Then we zipped across town to the Paradise Banquet Hall for the Seventh Annual Etnica Negra Festival (Black Ethnicity Festival). In the U.S. Black History Month is the shortest month of the year, but here in Panamá the entire month of May is dedicated to honoring the contributions of the Afro-Panameños. This event was put on by Martha Productions Panamá. Martha and Ronaldo Olton are members of our parish and work constantly to educate our youth about and build pride in their African heritage. A group of students from Instituto Episcopal San Cristóbal performed a play based on a novela written by one of their teachers. It was really quite a production! I also have photos of a dance group who performed; the members of the group are all retired women, and they are really something. I love the Etnica Negra festival, especially seeing so many people in African inspired fashions. We had a wonderful time!
1. Profesora Emily Butcher processing with the past president of PCIAA
2. El Coro de Parroquia San Cristóbal con el Gran Combo
3. Profesora Emily Butcher and her award.
4. African clothing
5. More African clothing
6. Kenya Douglas, member of St. Christopher's
7. Martha Olton
8. Aldolfo with his mother Roxanna Olton, and Alda Allen, members of St. Christopher's.
9. The Buffet line
10. Roxanna and Aldas' dresses
11. Congo dance with Denzel Arthur, member of St. Christopher's (in black and white costume).
12. Another scene from the play
14. Another shot of the dancers
15. Festival Etnica Negra sign
I See You!
Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign