Friday, February 06, 2009

Meanwhile at the Hogar

This week I worked with Avelia, Carla, and Rosa Mari. I read to Avelia and Carla at first, then we moved on to numbers because I noticed that during the counting part of our story, Avelia was skipping numbers.

I then spent time with Rosa Mari who is now reading some. She's very shy and it took a while for her to relax enough to read. Her voice is so quiet I was having trouble hearing her at first. By the time we were almost finished, she was able to read the story to me with hardly any problems.

While I was reading with Avelia, Omira waved to me. She had been studying in Spain for the last three years and returned at the end of December. She was sent to Spain on a special scholarship program that included 9 under-privileged chldren. She thought I had forgotten who she was. She's been very special to me since I met her 8 years ago when she was only 11 years old. After she finishes taking English and another class, she will fulfill the requirements to go to the University. Michael and I are really happy to have Omira back.

I had also brought several magazines with me for the girls to use. Homework usually includes cutting out pictures or words from magazines. Here are the photos.

Avelia and Carla


Rosa Mari

Here are the girls looking at the magazines I brought.

Omira is the one in the orange and white shirt.

3 comments:

Göran Koch-Swahne said...

The little ones are lovely too!

Lynn said...

Mona,

Thank you for reminding this U.S. urban/suburbanite that the education I took for granted is truly a gift.

All the girls have such intelligent and curious faces, a nice addition to their beauty and innocence!

susan s. said...

Lovely ladies!

I See You!

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign