Thursday, August 23, 2007

Last Week's Adventure IV

Man, I've got some nasty virus with one heck of a sore throat and aching muscles and a fever, so I'm not up to too much blogging. If I die, the Lovely Mona promises to Maintain the High Standards Which Have Been Established at Padre Mickey's Dance Party, and to avenge my death.

Soooo, last Thursday we rose early in the morning to catch the water taxi back to Almirante, where Eduardo was waiting with the Busito. Padre Nelson joined the merry busito troop and we headed back to Panama City. We made great time and got home just before 5:00 p.m., even with stoping at San Felix to drop stuff off to Revda. Carmen's nephew and our stop in Santiago de Veraguas for lunch. Of course, Mona and I had the separate adventure going home with The Car That Would Not Run. It's fixed now, having happily emptied our bank account. Here in Panamá we have this interesting thing called "13th month" or decimo (I always say, "¡Gracias, Omar!" And, I know that decimo does not translate as 13th month, but that's what we call it). If one works for a year, one gets an extra month's pay during the year; a third in April, a third in August, and a third in December. So, I just received the decimo but el carro decided it was ITS money. Reminds me of the car we had in Berkeley; we had this 1988 Mercury Sable station wagon which had some kinda computerized thang in it which, it turned out, was connected to our Wells Fargo account. It always knew when we had some extra money so it would break down and the cost was almost always equal to the extra cash we had received. I really wanted to park that car in the middle of the street and light it on fire, but you can't do that kinda stuff that close to the Oakland Hills. Actually, I've wanted to do that to almost every car I've owned; I HATE CARS!!! But I digress.....

So here are some photos from the ride home.


On the water taxi back to Almirante


Bocas Bay from the road


A Ngöbe Bugle house near the bay


Casa Indigena

4 comments:

Matthew Hubbard said...

Boy, I wish I had someone who would vow to avenge MY death.

[sniff.]

Caminante said...

Lo siento tu gargantua... ¿le ayuda un poco de Ron Abuelo (o por lo menos el hombre que tiene esta dolor de gargantua)?

Dennis said...

hope you feel better soon.

June Butler said...

Padre, I said a prayer for your quick return to good health.

It [the station wagon] always knew when we had some extra money so it would break down and the cost was almost always equal to the extra cash we had received.

Perhaps that was God's intervention instead of a computer. At least, it was not more than the extra cash.

I See You!

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign