Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Perhaps This Wasn't The Best Idea. . .


Several years ago, the Lovely Mona and I decided to sit down and watch all three of the Lord of the Ring films in order. It was quite a day and we enjoyed it! So, for some goofy reason, this week I decided to watch all the Star Wars films in order (but not all in one day). Last night we watched Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace.

Ya know, I think that if George Lucas had made that film first, it may not have been followed by the other five. It is not very good; way too cartoony! Most of the special effects are very good, but, once again, there are some very cartoonish characters. Also, we were wondering why that big Gojida-kinda monstah living in the sea never attacked the underwater city? Wouldn't that be easy pickin's? Oh, and the kid? PUHLEEZE!

It's been a while since I've watched any of these. Tonight we're watching Star Wars II: El Ataque de los Clones. I can't remember if it was better or worse than The Phantom Menace. I DO remember walking out of the theatre after watching Star Wars III: La Venganza de los Sith totally disgusted. However, I believe things will be picking-up by Thursday!

4 comments:

spocko said...

So do you have and thoughts WHY 1-3 are so bad?

Personally I think the reasons are two fold.

1) He wasn't talking to Joseph Campbell anymore. Campbell's influence helped make the stories archetypes work.

2) Harrison Ford's charm and Carrie Fischer wit and guts.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Matthew Hubbard said...

Discerning nerds put Phantom Menace near the bottom of the list. I personally hated Return of the Jedi, so I was well ahead of the "George Lucas is an over-rated hack" trend so popular today.

One word. Ewoks.

KJ said...

In my humble opinion, the series peaked with "The Empire Strikes Back." I got to see it on opening day "back in the day," my first Surround Sound experience. All in all, I would have to say it was my favorite movie experience (There are better movies, but that occasion was an "event.") Oh, and there weren't any Ewoks.

And the kid in Episode I. Lucas has MILLIONS of dollars, and that's the kid he casts? What a fiesca! (I'm following your direction regarding use of word verification.)

Anonymous said...

All that said, condolences to "Master Kwai Jon" (sp? Liam Neeson) on the death of his wife Natasha Richardson. May she rest in peace, and rise in glory!

I See You!

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign