Monday, April 13, 2009

Triduum at Parroquia San Cristóbal Part I

We're beginning to recover from the Triduum, but we've got a lot to do. We're packing for our sabbatical (we're traveling Wednesday). We're hoping that all of the paper work for Señorita Chompita Wiggletail is finished by tomorrow, or she may have to travel on Thursday, which would not be fun for her. I mean, she's not going to enjoy any of this anyway, but not knowing where we are for a day will be tough for her. She is a Sensitive Dog.

Muchisimas gracias to everybody who contributed to the fund raiser led by Madpriest and Revda Elizabeth Kaeton. This is going to be a big help.

Maundy Thursday photos:

Foot washing



Padre Surgeon, who will be helping out at San Cristóbal during the sabbatical, washes the boy's feet. They needed washing, too!


Reserved Sacrament in the Garden of Repose



Stripping the Altar



I never experienced this until I came to St. Christopher's. I take the left over wine in the chalice and pour it on the four corners of the altar and in the center. It is similar to this.





Good Friday
We do a Service of the Three Hours, beginning with the Stations of the Cross, followed by the Passion from John's gospel. I usually chant the Passion, which is a lot of work. This year I asked Guillermo Johnson to help me. He sang Jesus' part. It came out quite well. This is followed by the service in the Book of Common Prayer. We then have meditations on the Arrest of Jesus, the Trial of Jesus, the Crucifixion of Jesus, and the Events of Holy Week. Mrs. Adica Moore, Padre Cáceres, Padre Surgeon, and I gave the meditations. The meditations are separated by antiphons, canticles, and hymns. We finished in three hours this year!

Here is a photo of Guillermo and I singing the Passion.


The Choir


Coming up: photos of the Easter Vigil and both Easter Sunday services.

9 comments:

Brother David said...

I am curious as to what prayer books that you use in Panama?

June Butler said...

May God bless you and the Lovely Mona and give you a safe trip. I pray that Chompita's paperwork gets done in time for her to travel with you.

PS: Why do you having a sensitive dog, Padre? She must already suffer from severe emotional scars.

Padre Mickey said...

David, we use the 1979 Book of Common Prayer of TEC in English y español.

Grandmère Mimi, thanks for your prayers. This dog wears all her emotions on her sleeve, metaphorically, of course!

June Butler said...

You can't mean that Chompita is shirtless, with her boobies showing.

Padre Mickey said...

Well, no, I don't mean that, but she is a dog and not one of those dogs who wears sweaters or clothes of any kind, so, if she rolls over, yes, what you described takes place.

I believe we have veered away from the original purpose of this post.

motheramelia said...

Have a great trip and I Chompita has an uneventful one. I've never heard of pouring wine on the altar, but I use oil of myrrh. Got the tradition from my anglo-catholic parish in SF.

June Butler said...

I believe we have veered away from the original purpose of this post.

Padre, yes. I am well-known for leaving untidy comments. Sorry about that. I can't help myself.

Fred Preuss said...

"Reserved" sacrament? You mean it doesn't say much, out of social diffidence perhaps?
Why not just set up a vending machine? Works for Pepsi!

Padre Mickey said...

Oh Fred, you are such a card! Since Christ has risen we can even take your silliness in stride!

I See You!

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign