Monday, October 01, 2007

Yesterday at Parroquia San Cristóbal

Last night Caminante and I made a deal: I would post photos of the two Sunday services, and she would post photos of the Big Party at the Bishop's House. That way she reaps the scorn of Grandmére Mimi in regards to the constant partying which is such an important aspect of ministry here in Panamá (well, actually it's because the Lovely Mona and I forget to bring our camera to the party, but Caminante had hers!).

Mr. Kurt Barnes, the Treasurer and Financial Officer of TEC was with us, too, but somehow he managed to avoid the cameras. Maybe Caminante caught him in a photo from the party.

We have two services at Parroquia San Cristóbal on Sunday mornings: a Choral Eucharist in English at 7:30 am, and then la Misa en español a las 10:30 am. Caminante was our preacher at 7:30 am and Celebrante en la Misa. Of course, she did a wonderful job at both services and she and Kurt seem to enjoy themselves very much. After church the Lovely Mona, Caminante, Kurt and I all had a great lunch and conversation at Napoli restaurant. We got them back to their hotel by 3:00 pm so that they could rest before the Big Party at the Bishop's House.

As far as these church photos go, I was busy doing priesty thangs at 7:30 am, so I was only able to get two photos from that service. However, the Lovely Mona came to the rescue at 10:30 and got some great shots of Caminante behind the altar. As I said, she celebrated, el Revdo. Canonigo Luis Cáceres preached, and Ricky Staples and I were the musicians, while the Lovely Mona directed el coro. Here ya go!


Caminante sings the gospel at 7:30 am.

Caminante in the pulpit at Parroquia San Cristóbal

El Coro cantan la gloria

Padre Mickey and Ricky Staples get down (yeah, I was crankin' out a hot lead! or maybe not)

Caminante celebrates with Padre Luis

Seconds before the invitation

Padre Mickey, Caminante, Padre Luis

6 comments:

susan s. said...

Lovely Pictures! I remembered to click! The stoles are beautiful! Are those all made by ladies at the church, or at least by Panamanians?

BTW...we had a lovely time at the Grace, and
++Katharine was there being her magnificently reassuring self. Oh, it just occurred to me that we should call ourselves Reassurers, ha.
See Fr. Jake's latest post about her. There was of course the newspaper reporter who picked out an awkward statement ++Katharine made that could be misconstrued, and so many are doing that. And there is a link to her sermon about Angels.

susan s. said...

Oh, I just noticed that in my comment above the phrase
"an awkward statement ++Katharine made that could be misconstrued, and so many are doing that."...it should have another comma...
"could be misconstrued, and so, many are doing that."

does that clear things up or just make them worse? ;-)

Anonymous said...

I don't know why it is that all the people in the fotos posted on the Dance Party blog are so beautiful. It must be because they are photographed through the eyes of love. After reading and viewing your posts on a typical day, I always feel more connected with life and the human race and the Good News. So glad you have had a great visit with the beautiful and soulful Caminante.

Susan S., what a great idea -- to think of ourselves as The Reassurers. Those who carry the message that we are all one in Christ, all loved as we are. "Fear not." "All will be well, all manner of things will be well."

June Butler said...

Beautiful pictures, Padre - I should say, Mona.

The picture of Caminante with her arms raised is lovely. What a gorgeous yellow on the wall behind the altar.

Susan, I like reassurers, too.

I have to agree with Mary Clara. The pictures must be taken with great love, and the love is reflected back, because love shines through.

Caminante said...

My stole is from El Salvador, made by an Anglican who goes to the new congregation in Jiquilisco.

susan s. said...

Yes, ciamante, I can see the El Salvador in your stole!

And Mary Clara, and Mimi, I'm so glad that something I said rings true with others....that's not often the case! Shall we start a movement? Reassurers to the Rescue!

I See You!

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign