Friday, February 15, 2008

Friday Random Top Ten



Ya pushes "shuffle" and ya takes yer chances. . .

1. Look At Me I'm Wonderful Bonzo Dog Do Dah Band
2. When Your Lonely Heart Breaks Neil Young & Crazy Horse
3. Motet @6 Crucifixus (A. Lotti) Westminister Abbey Choir/Abbey Consort
4. In Matutinis Laudibus (Hildegard von Bingen) Sequentia
5. Carnival Tom Waits
6. Bride of Raindog Tom Waits
7. The Emperor's New Clothes Elton John
8. My First Day In U.S.A. (from Pardes) Hema Sardesai
9. Nothing New Social Club
10. By The Wayside A Cruel Hoax

So, I knew I was in trouble when the first song was Larry "Legs" Smith's tribute to himself. For a minute there I thought that the shuffle had realized it was Lent, especially with the third track, but, two Tom Waits selections in a row changed my mind about that. The Bollywood selection is not the best song from that movie, in fact, it's not very interesting, more filler than anything. Then the shuffle got in the mood for Local San José Bands of the Late 1980's. Social Club were founding members along with A Cruel Hoax and the Frontier Wives of the First Strike Musicians' Collective in San José, California around 1985 or so. This cut is from their album Flogging Peasants which was produced by Yers Truly. The ACH cut is from the compilation album San José Is Ground Zero: We're Number One! It's a song about a bar for dead people. Don't ask. Well, okay, I'll admit it: it's my fault; I wrote the song around a stupid line By the Wayside, where the dead people go! that Travis and Lexy sang all the way to San Francisco for one of our gigs. It is a nice, noisy song. Now I shall go do penance.

3 comments:

Matthew Hubbard said...

I had nothing to do with By The Wayside and I think it's a great song.

So there.

Padre Mickey said...

Well,I can't argue with you, Matty boy

Doorman-Priest said...

"Z level"

No, way to harsh!

I See You!

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign