Monday, February 25, 2008

New Guitar

The last time I bought a guitar was the Di Adario acoustic bass about fifteen years ago when I had a real job with real money. I own several guitars: acoustic six-string, acoustic twelve-string, the above mentioned bass, a 1963 St. George electric six-string (the original cheap Japanese Telecaster copy!) a 1965 Crown electric twelve-string, and a 1961 Gibson EB-0 bass (which I play all the time). The acoustic guitars are both Yamahas which I purchased at pawn shops in San José, CA., and the neck of the six string has warped, plus the nut is crumbling. Some of this is due to age, some to my peculiar guitar style, and also due to the fact that it is a cheap, old guitar. When Caminante visited in October, she said (and I believe I may be paraphrasing here): "you don't strum the guitar, you play the hell out of it!" Well, I played the hell out of it a lot in December and that has taken its toll. I've been saving up for a new guitar, but I used the money to help the parish Love Basket program in December as I wanted to make sure we fed 100 families. Some wonderful folks back in Berkeley learned of this and made a donation to help me buy a new guitar. Here it is!



It's an Ovation Applause and it's great. It has a built-in pick-up with a graphic equalizer, the neck is adjustable, and the sound is lovely. I'm playing the hell out of it. In fact, I'm done blogging for the day; time to get back to my guitar.

8 comments:

Matthew Hubbard said...

Ay, que priti! Congrats on your new axe.

Anonymous said...

Strum-de-dum-dum...

ENJOY PADRE (and thanks to your overtly cool pals in Berkeley too for helping to make this place ROCK!).

Irving Ruiz-Skavinski Dundel

Caminante said...

Well, I was there but don't remember saying exactly those words but probably conveyed sumptin to that effect. You do play hard (in more ways than one). Happy playing (strumming) away.

I was so tempted to buy a charango in Ecuador.

Paul said...

¡Rock on, Padre!

Jane R said...

NICE! Enjoy. Maybe some day you'll post music of you and the folks from la Parroquia...

Raspberry Rabbit said...

I think that those who disagree with the proposition that "the secret of effective ministry is really good kit" have some explaining to do. Rock on!

susan s. said...

Lovely guitar. I'm sure you play the hell out of it!

Fran said...

Now that is a very cool thing Padre! Most excellent!!

I See You!

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign