Saturday, January 12, 2008

I'm Back!

I'm back and I took over 180 photos so I'll have plenty to post for the next few days.

I like to rise before the campers so that I can take my walk and then hit the showers before the little darlings awake and the water pressure goes way down (they don't use all the hot water because there in no hot water). So the first morning I rose, got dressed and put on my shoes. My right shoe felt kinda funny, a little tight, so I took it off and reached inside, thinking that perhaps the lining was messed up. I felt some thing weird and pulled it out of my shoe. Then I dropped it on the floor 'cuz it was a bat! Yes, a bat was sleeping in my shoe!! It was just lying there, so I put my shoe on and took my walk. When I returned, it had moved to the corner, so I took this photo and then took the bat outside to a tree. Then I took my shower, all before the Campistas awoke.

Lotsa photos and camp stories starting sometime tomorrow. It's good to be home with the Lovely Mona and Chompita.

10 comments:

Jane R said...

Welcome back, Padre! We missed ya. Give a scratch to La Chompita and a vegan hug to the Lovely Mona for me. And pray for us in your spare time, the little darlings (I have always called my students that even when they were forty years old) here return Monday morning and have started invading the campus again. I live on campus (though on the edge of it, not next to the dorms, Gracias a Dios) so there's no way to avoid the onslaught. Glad to see the delightful ones, though.

Caminante said...

Hope you didn't squish the poor bat. Still, una sopresa! Bienvenido de regreso.

Anonymous said...

Aww, poor little bat! Do you have any idea what kind it was? Just a general idea of what it's diet must be is all I really want.

Jane R said...

Bats are fruitarians, right?

Jane R said...

P.S. Reminds me of when I was doing archaeology in Israel as a college student and they told us always to shake out our shoes when we got up in the morning in our tents, in case any scorpions had settled in overnight. Yeesh.

Bats are much nicer.

Padre Mickey said...

Tara, for all I know the bat eats inner soles or even shoe laces. Jane, I used to drop my pants on the floor before I got in bed, but one morning a tarantula fell out of them and I've hung them up ever since!
Hola, Caminante. I don't think I squished the bat, but I'm also sure that I didn't help it any.

Matthew Hubbard said...

Some batz eat bugz. Pull 'em right out of the sky on the fly with their madd skillz sonar.

'Course, rabid bats... bad news, like any rabid mammal. Still, I luvz me some batz. Not like I luvz me da Padre Mickey, but still... don't make me choose.

Paul said...

It's so good to have you back. One doesn't realize how much one counts on certain things in life until they go on vacation. Not that you're a "thing," but you know what I mean. I hope. Good to hear from you again.

Anonymous said...

Henseforth: Permission slips are being issued for your comings and goings...please report to the office of "Big Brother" before you do any future gadding about or you next "assignment" will be a specially restricted (movement) area in Cuba...it begins with a "G" and ends with a "O"...you won't like the getting hosed down each morning part...a word to the wise.

Sandello Horowitz Harbinger Gooseberry Voltz

Anonymous said...

and another cosa...they've got'em some real bad, blood suck'n Lt. JG Murcielagos in charge over there on that isla...just a little ol' heads up before they swopp'un down on ye!

Sandello Horowitz Harbinger Gooseberry Voltz

I See You!

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign