Today we celebrated the 87th anniversary of el Hogar de Niñas de la Capital, the girls' home which has been an important ministry of the Episcopal Church of Panamá. We celebrated an Acción de Gracias at Parroquia San Cristóbal. Revdo. Canonigo Luis Cáceres preached, I presided, and Reverenda Carmen Sáez, the Chaplain of the Hogar assisted. The Very Rev. Maize Lennan, Dean of the Cathedral of St. Luke, read the Gospel.
The day-long celebration took place across the street on the patio of Instituto Episcopal San Cristóbal. There was food for sale and a very loud DJ. Some jovenes from Collegio de la Salle, who are doing their Servicio Social at the Hogar led the girls in some fun signing games. The Folkloric Dance Group from IESC performed some Típico, or Panamanian Folk Dances. A fútbol game was going on down on the field, and the Altar Guild had their meeting, and the Lovlely Mona and I had choir practice with the Youth Choir and then we were ready to go home. The celebration is still happening as I write this. In fact, the tómbola, or raffle is taking place right now! I bought a buncha tickets but I never win these things.
All in all, a fun day. The photographic proof is below.
Click on photos for larger, more detailed version
1. Las Niñas before the service.
2. Goofing around!
3. Bringing up the gifts.
4. At the Communion Rail
5. The Menu. I ordered the bola de ensalada de papas 'cuz that translates as a ball of potato salad. Geez, it was a whole plate of potato salad, but really GREAT potato salad! I also had several of the torreja de bacalao because there is nothing on this earth better than a nice warm cod fish cake!!
6. - 8. A Singing Game
9. Fútbol Crowd
10. Fútbol players
11. Thinking about her performance
12. The two youngest niñas dancing.
13. Meanwhile, at Parroquia San Cristóbal, the Altar Guild sits in Quiet Contemplation.
14. - 16. Típico Dancers.
Photos by the Lovely Mona and the Grumpy Padre