Sunday, March 18, 2007

Twenty-nine Years Ago Today


Twenty-nine years ago today the Lovely Mona and I got dressed-up and made promises in the presence of God, our friends, and family. Then we had a great party in the hall across the street. We were married in the same church in which my parents were married and our reception was held in the same hall, too! Our friends were surprised as we were married INSIDE and IN A CHURCH! Those were the days when everyone was putting flowers in their hair and standing barefoot on a hilltop whilst some guy with a perm and a guitar sang that dang Wedding Song by Paul Stooky. We had an organist and Baroque music during the ceremony, and a string quartet at the reception. I've always said that it was a great way to kill a Saturday. My friends (some friends!) gave us a year, because they were sure the Lovely Mona would come to her senses and kick my sorry ass out the door. Guess we showed them!! I won't post any photos, as I don't have a scanner, plus, we males of the wedding party wore some terrible 1970's style tuxedos with enormous bow-ties which looked like we were all being attacked by vampire butterflies. The Lovely Mona looked great, though, and still does.

Happy Anniversary, Mona! I'm in for another twenty-nine years at least!

15 comments:

Dennis said...

congratulations to both of you!

Janis Bland said...

And many years more! What a great post, Padre. Blessings to you and Mona.

Caminante said...

Hey, happy anniversary and many many more.

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Mona and Michael. May you have many more years together.

Jane R said...

Mazel Tov again! :-) What a wonderful week of celebrations. Ad multos annos!

episcopalifem said...

Huzzah! Mickey and Mona! Anniversaries are very special!

My dad gave my husband and I a year that was 16 1/2 years ago (although, harmonious, isn't how I'd always describe my marriage! You seem to have me beat there!

May the good Lord continue to bestow his blessings upon you both!

Unknown said...

Great anniversary musings! Congratulations to the two of you!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, Padre y Madre Mickey!

Luiz Coelho said...

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey

Qué bueno! Congratulaciones.

I just wonder if Mickey had fótos of his marriage 29 years ago...

Look... This plan sounds interesting... Why don't we go to Panama and celebrate the 30th Anniversary of them together? With the cute baby, peanut, Mescalito and the whole family?

Padre Mickey said...

Thank you, everyone, for your kind wishes.
And Luiz, I like your idea!

Anonymous said...

You don't have a scanner, but the picture from the Wonders of Science single must have been scanned. I smell conspiracy.

Congrats to both of you, but to one of you more than the other. The one who got the better of the deal, if you know what I mean.

In Calvin Trillin's new book About Alice, two friends of the couple discuss why Alice decided to marry Calvin. "Oh, that was just dumb luck!" one of the two fellows concluded.

There's a lot of dumb lucky males in this world, if you ask me my opinion.

Padre Mickey said...

Er, Matty Boy, I believe it was either you or your friend who scanned the TWOS single, which makes you the very heart of the conspiracy, as usual.

Of course, it is very convenient that I don't have a scanner so that I may save everyone the pure torture of those photos and those terrible tuxes.

June Butler said...

Padre and Lovely Mona, congratulations!

Padre, I'm pleased for you that the lovely Mona didn't ever wise up.

Anonymous said...

Mazel tov! May God grant you many years!

I See You!

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign