Thursday, December 14, 2006

Feast of John of the Cross

I've got absolutley no idea what is flying between Jesus and John here.

"Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing." St. John of the Cross

Lord,
you endowed St. John of the Cross with a spirit of self-denial and love of the cross.
By following his example may we come to the eternal vision of your glory.
We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen

I tend to prefer stories of the martyrs of the first five centuries over saints from the Middle Ages, but I have a slight interest in St. John of the Cross as I played him in skits in the Follies at CDSP. I played him as a kinda slimy guy, to fit in with our running joke regarding "Sex With Angels." If you want to read some stuff about St. John of the Cross, Jim Naughton has a nice post at Daily Episcopalian.

2 comments:

MadPriest said...

I think Jesus has two of those party squawker things. He knows John gets really cross when he does this when John is trying to pray. If John wasn't so "holier than thou" Jesus wouldn't do it.

Padre Mickey said...

As always in these matters, you are correct, sir! It is obvious by the look on John's face that his ear is being tickled and his devout meditation is being interrupted.

I See You!

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign